1.31.2008

Nothing More, Nothing Less

At Compassion Philippines' Christmas party last month, Kuya Toyditz shared this beautiful prayer by Elizabeth Elliot (see photo below) in her book "Keep A Quiet Heart" (which I sooo loved since I got my copy 10 years ago. But that is another story!):

Lord, we give You thanks
For all that You in Your mercy
Have given us
To be and to do and to have.
Deliver us, Lord, from all greed to be
And to do and to have anything
Not in accord with Your Holy purposes.
Teach us to rest quietly
In Your promise to supply
Recognizing that if we don’t have it
We don’t need it.
Teach us to desire Your will –
Nothing more, nothing less and nothing else.
For Jesus’ sake. Amen.


Truly, there has to be more to life than the pursuit of happiness, or possessions, or achievement, or friendship, deeper relationship, or wisdom, or experience for that matter.

I find that the search for meaning fades where the search for God begins. Its a fine line I find myself crossing time and again, like I do now. I am comfortable with that, because it signifies a continuing dialogue between my Maker and I.

I believe this is the essence of this Sabbatical Year exercise for me: to be drawn, reaffirmed, redirected to my ultimate anchor. By His grace may I come out pursuing only His WILL -- nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

2 comments:

Will said...

Ate jing, link kita sa page ko ha. Miss you din po.

JINGSINayOcampo said...

Done, Wil! :)