1.09.2008

Body and Soul

Classes have resumed. As if to signal my re-entry into AIM, I have been experiencing terrible bouts of migrane since day one. I passed out Monday night, while on my way to hail a cab. If not for Aleem (bless you!) who took me back to AIM dorm to rest, the sweet ladies from MDM (Mercy, Mia, Huan Shan) and MBA (Rosie) who became my instant nurses and dalaws, and of course Murty who made sure got home after recuperating, I don't know how I would have ended.

The next two days I missed a couple of classes, due to the recurring attacks. Even when I was feeling better, classmates were telling me I looked sick (veins were "poping out" my forehead) and must really follow the doctor's advise to go through a complete bloodwork. Honestly, the gestures of concern were better medicines than any pain reliever.

Learning of my condition, a friend who was in the Philippines for just two weeks vehemently insisted (and arranged) that I go for a Thai massage, saying it may be due to stress (it partly was, to be sure). So anyway, this treat at a wellness center in Tomas-Morato was another welcome "cure".

To cap it all, Tata (Rommel) came home two days ahead of schedule, to make sure I was ok.

Receiving care from a loving community does not exempt me from the need to go through medical procedures. But it surely does make the recovery as holistic as it can get.

Jehovah Rapah (God the Healer) has an army of medical practitioners and caregivers, I realize. Most of them are within arm's reach -- faster than any ambulance, better than any state-of-the art care.

No comments: